Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A Request for the Easily Offended

People who take offense offend me. I mean really. There are so many legitimate things to gripe about in this world, why choose less-than-worthy targets? Here's an example: at the coffee shop down the street there's a sign on the cash register that says "we accept Czechs and all earthly peoples, but we do not accept checks."

I have a friend who is offended by this sign. Why? Not clear. I think it's kind of funny, kind of hip, whatever. Just give me my coffee please, thanks. But this friend of mine finds it rude and snooty. A failed attempt to be clever. Also rude and snooty: recycling, eating organic food, and driving electric cars. Not because he's a conservative (he isn't). But he just doesn't believe it helps anyone to recycle, eat organic food, and drive electric cars. To him, people do those things to try to make other people feel bad about themselves.

Okay, maybe he's right. But at least the conceit of these recycling, organic food eating, electric car driving people is based on a desire to "do good," even if what they secretly desire is creating shame in others. Of course, the same could be said about religion, huh.

Rather than being offended, how about failing to notice? If it doesn't make you feel shame, and instead it just makes the other person look foolish, how about just making it beneath your notice? For example, does anyone remember Andrew Dice Clay? Or N.W.A.? Of course not!

They were just embarrassing. Forgettable. So people! Stop offending me with being stupidly offended!

Oh . . .

Wait . . .

I just started a blog devoted to ranting about all the stupid little offensive details in life. I offend myself. And I'm always willing to extend credit to everyone for being as freakishly neurotic as me, so . . .

I'm sorry if I offended you.

No comments: